Aluminium windows provide so many obvious benefits to your home building or remodeling project: brilliant light, comforting warmth, and a view to the space around you. But there are other facets to windows that aren’t as apparent. They can provide energy efficiency, security, and acoustic comfort as well.
New aluminium-cased windows can also make your home quieter, more attractive, and less drafty – and they don’t need painting like wood frame windows.
Be advised, you should know that there may be significant differences between window brands. We encourage you to look at window ratings to find appropriate characteristics that apply to where you live. For instance, if your home is exposed to cold temperatures and high winds, look for windows that are excellent at low-temperature wind resistance.
You may want a Low-E coating for your window panes, which boosts energy efficiency. There are also glazing options that colour or reduce breakage issues. There are hardware option, such as handles, cranks, or rollers, which can improve or hinder your windows’ performance. So there is a lot to consider.
Today, let’s examine the style options available for most common aluminium window settings.
Sliding windows features both a fixed panel of glass and one or more moving panels. These windows are opened and closed by sliding the moving panel of glass horizontally left or right. While sliding window settings work well in most rooms, they are especially useful in rooms with limited wall space, such as in bathrooms, kitchens, and utility areas. Sliders are an extremely popular style of window because of their simple, functional and streamlined design.
Sliders have advantages compared to other window types:
- Durability. Many conventional window settings have components like springs and pulleys, which can wear down or fail over time. Slider windows don’t rely on these components, improving their durability. Most slider window options also include window glazing, adding to their durable nature.
- Minimal maintenance. With fewer parts than conventional windows, sliders are a nice low-maintenance, cost-effective choice for residential homes.
- Ease of use. Sliders require very little effort and dexterity to open and close, so they’re appealing to older residents and those with limited physical abilities. They aren’t as heavy as traditional settings, and they typically glide along the window frame with ease. Simply release the latch to slide this window open.
Double hung windows
Double hung windows feature either one moving sash and one fixed sash or two moving sashes that slide open in opposite directions (up or down). This allows you to open and close both the bottom and top panels independently. Windows can be locked in the open position, helping to keep your home secure if you want to leave your windows open slightly for ventilation while you’re asleep or out of your home for a bit.
Double hung windows are ideal for rooms that require constant ventilation or where opening your windows outward may be restricted. With easy adjustment of sash tensioners, the double hung design appeals to you if you need an easy-to-operate solution. The lack of sharp corners and edges while opened make these windows ideal for homes with small children, and the option to open just the top sash helps to protect against accidents occurring, such as little ones trying to climb out. Read more about scenarios where double-hung windows make perfect sense for your house.
Advantages of double hung windows include:
- Superior ventilation. Allowing maximum air flow helps allow cool, fresh air in while releasing warm, stale air out. This helps improve air quality and naturally cools the home.
- Aesthetically pleasing. Known for their classic appeal, double hangers are suitable for any home or room. They work well in traditional or contemporary home designs.
- Easy maintenance. Double hung windows often come with tilt-out sashes that make cleaning easier, allowing you to clean both the interior and exterior from inside your home. Because minimal maintenance is required, this option is bound to last a pretty long time.
- Safe design. Because double hung windows don’t crank out, their design eliminates the risk of accidents in high-traffic areas, such as walkways, decks, and patios.
Awning windows are smaller, offering flexibility to combine multiple windows on a single wall. They are hinged at the top of the opening, allowing the bottom of the window to swing outward. Awning windows are configured to only open to a fixed degree, making them perfect for leaving open in light rain. Operation is as easy as simply winding the handle to open the window partially or fully.
These smaller options are ideal for households with small children, as their fixed opening angle helps to ensure that little ones cannot climb through. There are also no sharp edges or corners to be concerned about when the window is open.
Awning windows offer advantages such as:
- Good Ventilation. Awning windows are often placed higher in walls than other types of windows, providing natural ventilation without compromising privacy.
- Damp climate protection. Even open in a rainstorm, awning windows can protect your walls from moisture seepage. Their design also helps with durability in wet climates.
- Appealing, contemporary look. With its friction hinges allowing for smooth opening outward, the awning window provides homeowners with a useful, contemporary option to traditional windows.
- Privacy and security. The high placement of awning windows also provides a combination of privacy and security, while allowing light and ventilation. They are most useful in bathrooms and bedrooms.
- Versatility. Awning windows provide excellent flexibility in designing and styling your home’s décor. You can also select window grilles that can add unique light into your living space.
Aluminium louvre windows add a stylish, breezy air of elegance to your home, allowing you to easily control the flow of air into your home. They are ideal for small rooms with minimal wall space, such as laundry areas, bathrooms or narrow hallways and corridors.
This option features a series of horizontal glass slats that are opened and closed by sliding a lever upwards and downwards. Open the slats to a horizontal position for maximum airflow during warm, pleasant days or nights, or to a smaller angle for less air flow in cooler weather or during light rain.
Like the awning window, the aluminum louvre window provides some security while you are sleeping or away from the house. The openings are limited, eliminating any large openings that an intruder can enter through.
Louvre windows provide advantages such as:
- Energy-efficient ventilation. Louvre windows are often used in bathrooms and kitchens, where ventilation is important. These windows offer a great alternative to exhaust fans, as they allow steamy air to escape, reducing moisture build up. They also minimise heat entry and escape, reducing the need for artificial cooling and heating.
- Easy cleaning. Because the window panes tilt horizontally, louvre windows are extremely easy to clean from inside your home. This is particularly useful for non-ground floor windows that are difficult to access or reach.
The aluminium bi-fold window offers an excellent way to maximise window space without compromising on style. Unlike windows that tilt open or slide open halfway, bi-fold windows allow you to fully open a window space to its maximum range. The window panes in bi-fold settings fold neatly to the left or right, providing optimal living space.
Aluminium bi-folding windows are perfect for kitchens and entertaining areas, as they make fantastic servery windows, allowing you to engage with visitors outside while you work in the kitchen. And they can make your space feel instantly larger and brighter.
Bi-fold windows have advantages such as:
- Optimising open space. When fully open, bi-folding windows provide an open living space with a seamless transition between indoor and outdoor spaces, and making your space seem larger.
- Durability. Bi-fold windows are typically mounted with a roller system and reinforced frames to provide maximum durability.
- Ease of use. The simple locking mechanism and smooth gliding rail allow you to easily release and push open the window. Cleaning is also made easy with access to either side of the pane.
Aluminium windows provide many advantages over wood-frame settings. So you’re making a good choice when you decide to install them. However, we recommend you spend some time deciding which of these options fit the spaces they’ll be supporting.
If you’d like to discuss the details of your project, and determine which options fit where, contact a BetaView consultant to get answers today!